So, the Super Crazy Busy period of the year has passed us by, and the reorganization has not yet happened, so I am now in that time in my job – as I have been on many other occasions – where I do not have enough to keep me busy, but still have to look like I am busy 100% of the time.
Interestingly, since I went part time in July, my workload has increased, but not enough to fill the hours of my day. I’m not entirely sure why I am doing way more than everyone else that works “full time”, yet still have a good chunk of the day to while away.
In an effort to look busy while sitting at my desk without the use of my forefinger and a nostril, here are the things I would be doing if I could go home when my work was finished instead of when the clocks says I can:
(1) I started the Mother-in-Law’s sweater during lunch. I am on the beginning of the third row, and have already messed it up. I don’t know what it is about me that makes me unable to remember the difference between seed stitch and ribbing until I can actually see that I am ribbing instead of doing seed stitch. I think that part of the problem is that I learned to knit from my grandma in kind of a half-assed way, and not properly. I call things all the wrong things, and I tend to label the stitches by what I did to get them than by what they look like afterward. Therefore, on a seed stitch when it tells me to knit the knits of the previous row, I knit the stitches that I knit the previous row, instead of the ones that will turn out like a “knit” stitch instead of what I call the “purl” stitch. It’s all fucked up. It’s almost like watching a lefty knit.
(2) Short of frogging the 230 stitiches of the sweater and starting over, which I will do at Caribou tonight while waiting for my beloved to be done with his allergy shots, I would take working on the present for Carla’s baby (which needs to be done in 16 short days, not that I’m counting) or casting on for Sarah’s baby (which needs to be done whenever it is that we finally decide her baby shower is going to be).
(3) Already be waiting for my sweetie at Caribou.
(4) Figuring out more stuff on the knitting machine. Last night my knitting group came over and they figured out how to set the thing up, but there are all sorts of attachments and do-hickeys and things that we can do with it. I emailed the Textile Center to see if anyone would help us out (for a fee), and I can’t wait to get started on this one. Baby blankets, here we come!
(5) Taking a shower. I slept in today, and I need one.
(6) Starting work on our corn bags. They are all cut, and with the purchase of pinking shears yesterday, I am ready to cut the labels and start sewing!
(7) Cutting out the quilt that I promised Jeff I’d make two years ago. This keeps getting further and further down the pile.
(8) Reading the book I got in the mail yesterday. I am on track to make my reading goal this year!
(9) Be hanging out with my girls. I haven’t had enough social time lately, and I miss it. Then again, I am deep enough in the February blahs to not want to get off my ass and do anything.
(10) Anything, really, as long as it doesn’t involve wasting my time!